Skip to main content

Moss balls, my wet friends.

 Hello, I'm going to be talking about moss balls, and aquatic plant. I had to take down my half gallon tank yesterday and inside I had a moss ball. I had bought this plant at Petco when I worked there. I'm told that they only grow 5mm a year, but this moss ball has easily doubled his size in the past six months.


Why would it grow so fast?
If I were to guess, it would be because I had a very poor filter, led lights, and an over stocked tank. I had 15 fish in the half gallon tank. The plants that I had in there easily kept the tank clear and clean. This moss ball probably doubled in size because of that.

So what is a moss ball, and why should you have one in your tank, or just in a jar?
  The moss ball has a few names depending on where you go. Mirimo, lake ball, moss ball, Cladophora ball. This moss ball, isn't really moss. The moss ball is actual a type of algae.

 Algae, why would I want to put that into my tank?
    The moss ball will stay in its ball shape, so it wont make your tank all green. It also eats the same nutrients as regular algae, but it eats them faster. So this helps keep down your algae that will grow on the glass. That is worth having for sure. This is also the reason why my half gallon tank didn't have any algae in it, well besides the moss ball.

 So what does it do?
   Well, the moss ball is just a plant, it will filter the water, and keep it clean. My moss ball, as fish were dying it started to be covered with bones and fish bodies. So it more then likely aided in breaking them down. Some say that the moss ball even will move around your tank.

Where do moss balls come from?
  Moss balls are found mainly in the Northern Hemisphere and are most present in countries such as Iceland, Japan, Estonia, and Scotland.

How do they grow?
  There are three different types of this plant. There is the Moss ball proper, which is the round velvet like balls you can buy in pet stores. There is the epilithic form, this grows on rocks that are in shade. Then there is the a form that grows as a free floater.

How to care for your moss ball.
  When you have your moss ball, if you have it in a tank, you can introduce your plant into the tank as normal, and it will be just fine from here on out. If you have it in a glass of water, or a jar, make sure you change the water every two weeks or so.

My moss ball is turning brown. What do I do?
 If you moss ball is in a tank, take it out and put it in a glass of water. Add a pinch of salt and let it sit in indirect light for the next week. You should be okay after that. Not always do you need to do this. Your moss ball can heal by its self.

Now what?
 If you have your moss ball, and it is gaining some mass that is great. After a while of having your moss ball, your ball will grow what looks like a tumor. This happens after a few years of growth, depending on the environment of the ball. The tumor is fine, let it grow for a few months after you notice it. Let it grow. After a few months take your thumb and rub it gently. This should pop that tumor off.

*Warning* If you go to a pet store, and there are balls of moss that are floating, this is not the same thing. Moss balls that we are talking about sit on the bottom of the tank. The other is a Styrofoam ball that is covered in actual moss, wrapped in fishing line, and generally attached to a sinker. You will want the moss ball that sits on the bottom of the tank.  You can tell the difference by the touch.
 The moss balls that we are talking about are squishy. the other kind are not.*Warning*

Ew, a plant tumor.
 No this is a good thing. Leave that thing alone after you get it off. This with any luck, will turn into another moss ball. If you have it in a tank and you need to gravel vac your tank, gently scoop it into a cup and out of the tank while you gravel vac. The baby ball needs time to grow undisturbed.

 That is it, you now know what you need to about moss balls. I suggest you go get one. They are really neat, and one of my favorite plants to put in an aquarium.
      Thank you for reading.
           Garrett.

Comments

  1. very cool man i may look in to getting one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please no profanity or adult language,

Top Reads

Contact TGP!

Hey, if you have a story you would like to tell about your indoor gardening, or have pictures of your plants, I would love to see them. You can send an e-mail to me at growingpatch@gmail.com . I'll try my best to respond as quick as I can.   Thanks,     Garrett.

Valentine Plants As Gifts

💘 It's time to be all Lovey and Dovey time 💘 Which you are.  Let's face it, that's why you're here.  You're looking for inspirational ideas or what to hope and dream for. Plants are great for this.  Not just the long stem, freshly cut flowers that will die eventually.  I'm talking about the ones that are in cute little pots and super easy to grow and maintain.   Aloe Vera Jade Plant Hyacinth Snake Plant Bamboo Onward to the Next Step! What makes a plant a great gift is how it is decorated.  The container is where the magic happens.  Have an idea of how you want the gift to be perceived.   Bright and Shiny Cute and Adorable  Rustic and Charming Simple and Pleasing  Get creative and have fun with it.  This is something that they will look at everyday and spend time thinking about you...   ...and THAT is what you are going for ultimately in the end!

Great sites for Gardening help.

When In Doubt. There are times when I need a little bit of gardening help. When my friends or family do not have an answer, I can always turn to the internet. I have found several great sites that have top quality information. Reddit   In the past few years, maybe you have heard of this site. If you have not, I suggest that you check it out. There are two areas of reddit that I like to go to. Gardening  - here you can find useful tips and stories by other gardeners. Even ask them questions if you can not find the answer. What Is This Plant  - Did you go hiking, and found an odd plant? Take a picture of the plant, and post it here. In a few hours someone will let you know what it is, or at least where to look. You Grow Girl   This site is very well written. The pictures in each post are very well done. I enjoy looking at You Grow Girl from time to time. I always seem to get inspired when I do. check out  You Grow Girl .  This is a great article for anyone who is going to w

Reusable foods: a growing list.

 I had posted a list earlier about some foods that you don't have to throw away, you can put them in a pot and regrow them.  Check this post out  for the guides on green onions, and garlic. This time we will be talking about some of our best spuds.    What is first on the table? 🍠Sweet Potatoes! Who doesn't love a sweet potato? If you have never had one, pick one up next shopping trip.  You can prepare them just like a regular potato.  My favorite way to make a sweet potato is to mash them up, and add cinnamon and brown sugar.  My wife taught me this.     To regrow a sweet potato do this.  Take the bottoms of the sweet potato, jam some tooth picks in the sides.  Suspend the potato over a glass of water so it is partly submerged.  Put the cup of water in a sunny spot, and wait a few weeks.  Add water as needed.  Now you will have roots on bottom and shoots on top.  Divide your potato up, and plant.  Harvest your new Sweet potatoes when the leaves turn yellow.  Do